Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Immigration - Our New American Life

Today, at the end of class I had the kids do something called an exit card. This is something they do at the end of class in order to get them to synthesize what they've learned that day or over the past few days. We've been talking about immigration and so they got a fake postcard where they were asked to pretend that they were an immigrant that moved from another country and they were writing a postcard home to their family. "What is life like in American now?" is pretty much the question that they had to answer. Here are some of the responses. I did not alter any of their responses.

"Hello family, Aerican is Pretty good, I have a job but we only get payed scents an hour."

"This is your nephew ****** im down in the U.S.A. I play soccer and i go to school downhere."

"Dear family, im here in American and its not so Great here like everyone says of think is it hard and a cruel place. I like some of the places. bye."

"Dear family, This is a good country, their is jobs, money, and land. This is a land of oppority. I love this land."

"Um so I hate my life. I get paid like 15 cents an hour and work 12 hours a day. my family and I sleep in a one room apartment building and it sucks!"

"Hi family U.S.A. is great a have job, but the trip was horrible. Take care."

"dear mom and dad in America it is great here. but when we got hear they couldn't say the names correctly so they gave us new ones."

"My name is Luginut I came from Europe and this life sucks I have a small shelter and I get paid 5 fricking dollars a day. i hate this."

"hi Aunt. I'm doing fine here. well not really. The treat immigrants horribly in here. We don't make that much money here. My hand hurts badly. They treat us like savages and we have to work work and more work."

"I am an immigrant I can't wait to expirence american priveledges The boat ride was torchure It's better than my country. I do kinda miss my family that died on the ride hear from all kinds of disease. - Egor Moscovisck "

"new land is fun because of job and freedom (but only only get limited of job and freedom). 10 and 15 unknown people in room. both hate it and like it."

"yoyo, it is hot down here and I think this is heaven!!! all of yo all invited!! -daddy yankee"
this kid will get zero credit for a few reasons, he didn't even put his real name on the postcard for one.

"hey mom its boring over here don't come. we work for nothing."

"Hey dad, it's Mia. ive been here in American and im being worked to death. I have this nasty room that i have to share with 6 other people. DON'T COME HERE! Stay in Spain. Love, Mia Applebottom."

"Don't move from England. America sucks. You're going to work long hours in a factory where you'll probably die."

"hey mama we came and since we did most of the railroad suddenly they hate us now signs are everywhere. i wish i can go back to asia."

"Dear family, I'm writing to say how things Are very different from home. people have exspect me to do more than i am capabile of. I'm only 14 and doing Adult work. my friend died yesterday because the black lung got to her. and now working in the factory, im developing a disease and i don't know how long i'll live. i'll be sure to send as much money as i can."

"I am working by butt of. & the good thing is that I don't have to worship their God."
(i don't feel Ms. SL) - I think she meant that she doesn't feel well....either way, this answer is horrible!

"Hi mom its your son Esteban, how you been? I've been good, I just got a Job as a cole minner, it real tough but it the only job that would take me. I just wanted to tell you Im good and next time I write to you, you will see some money."

Yes, this is how my students write. It's terrible. Although sometimes it makes reading their answers a bit more interesting.

Hope you enjoyed the choice cuts from this exercise!

Sincerely,
Mrs. SL

No comments:

Post a Comment