Wednesday, October 14, 2009

USA vs. The World

Background: We were talking about the difference between immigration and migration because we are talking about industrialization and the increasing size of the workforce in America.

A-student (seriously): Mrs. SL, what is America?

Me (totally calm, thinking that she just needs some clarification you know, between the different Americas or something): Well, it's sort of the shortened way of saying "United States of America". It's all the states together, like we had a quiz on earlier this year. You know, that map in the back of the classroom.

A-student (w/ a disgruntled look and she's examining the map): Um...I thought that was the world.

Me (at this point, some higher being took over my body so I wouldn't laugh or flip out): Well...that's not that world. That's just the US. The world is you know...Africa, Asia, Europe, all the rest of the continents. (at this point, I'm PRAYING she knows what I'm talking about)

A-student: Oh yeah. Ok. Thanks.

I think we need globes in the classroom. Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. get a globe up in there please!!!! a childhood without maps is a sad thing to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future."

    ReplyDelete